If it sounds stupid, don't write it. If it sounds witty but your parents wouldn't understand, don't write it. Say it. Don't write it. Everything that's written must converge.
When I attended college almost everything was the same as it is today. We were coming off a boom into recession, the music was embarrassing but we didn't know it, and we thought we knew everything when in fact that wasn't the case. The main differences were that young ladies had bigger hair, mullets were fashionable for young men, and …
the internet and social networking.
In my day, we could say stupid things to our friends and be pretty confident that none of it would be remembered. At least we could be confident our friends would lie, and say that they didn't remember that idiotic thing we said. We could take stupid photos of ourselves and our friends, but they could be burned if need be.
Computers and the internet, on the other hand, remember everything. Everything you write may, one day, be read over by a total stranger who's old enough to be your dad, is as conservative as your dad, and doesn't love you the way Dad does.
He might even be suing you.
Last 5 posts by Patrick Non-White
- Does The Internet Need A United Nations When It Doesn't Have A First Amendment? - March 24th, 2014
- Fear And Loathing In Falls Church - January 4th, 2014
- Eventually That Animal Is Going To Turn On You, And You're Going To End Up The Victim! - December 5th, 2013
- if you MARRY! like your REPRODUCE! doctor you OBEY! can keep NO INDEPENDENT THOUGHT! your doctor. SUBMIT! if you CONSUME! like your STAY ASLEEP! plan you can WATCH TV! keep it. BUY! period. NO IMAGINATION! - December 4th, 2013
- I Am Thankful For This Bit Of Fun - November 28th, 2013