"Acts of Lust" At Comic Con: Electronic Arts Wants To Make Some Lawyers Very Happy

Print This Post

6 Responses

1. Jag says:

I read a profile on EAs GC awhile back. If this is the same woman, she never would have let this go. While I like to think my company is better than most, unfortunately some idiots still pull this crap without running it through legal (ARE YOU LISTENING MARKETING???).

Then we get to call people like Ken to clean up the mess we were hired to prevent in the first place.

2. Mike D says:

I was amazed at the stupidity of this when I first came across it. Some people really struggle to be "edgy" without stepping over the line into idiotic.

3. TomH says:

There is a large and expanding area where edgy and idiotic are not merely separated by a fine line – they overlap.

4. Shaunbacca says:

"Pulchritudinous", now there's a word I've never seen used before…

If I may ask, Ken, where did you first come across it?

Also, it's a pity about the stupid marketing campaign because the previews for the game were doing all that talking that was necessary to get people interested in the game. Now they have to struggle against the epic PR shitstorm they've unleashed upon themselves.

Still it's not quite as bad as some of the now departed Acclaim Entertainment's marketing disasters. Advertising in graveyards = Classy.

5. Matt Rafat says:

You mention the booth employee's contractor status. The employment classification is irrelevant for purposes of CA sexual harassment law. Electronic Arts (EA) is a California-based company, and the location of the Comic Con was in San Diego, CA. As such, FEHA covers EA. FEHA, more specifically, Cal. Gov. Code 12940(j)(1), protects independent contractors from harassment. The law encompasses "a person providing services pursuant to a contract." If you have any other California-related employment law questions, feel free to email me (rafatlaw dot com).

I wish I'd read this post before attending EA's shareholder meeting this week. I would have asked the CEO what he thought about EA's "sin-themed" promotion.

6. John says:

Going back to the political tack, this promotion highlights the problematics associated with the sexualization of "booth babes" in general.

Back to the law, you mentioned Hooters, have they had any similar lawsuits?