And The Second Golden Asshat Goes To…

Irksome

When I introduced the Golden Asshat, I really didn't think I would be inspired to award the prize again.

The criteria for this award are simple. You must impress us, not as merely an asshat, but as such a superlative and spectacular asshat as to merit the special recognition that can only be given a Golden Asshat.

But David Cohen, editorial cartoonist for the Asheville Citizen Times, a rather good small-medium market paper in western North Carolina, certainly earned his Golden Asshat with this February 9 cartoon.

obama-salary-cap-fail

The award is well-deserved.  If you agree, won't you let Cohen's newspaper know that?

Via Fritinancy, through Twitter.

Edit: 2/12/2009 Dave Russell, who says he works for the Citizen Times, sends this message through comments:

Please note this cartoon did not run in the Asheville Citizen-Times — not in print, not online. I work on the editorial pages of the AC-T and he did not even submit this one to us for consideration. We would not have accepted it for publication.

You may read more of Mr. Russell's message, and my response, in the comments to this post.  Thanks to Mr. Russell for the update.

Last 5 posts by Patrick Non-White

1. Ken  •  Feb 11, 2009 @12:32 pm

I like how spelling out "ass" would be offensive, but racially charged twaddle is not.

2. Wowsas  •  Feb 11, 2009 @1:24 pm
  3. Patrick  •  Feb 11, 2009 @1:29 pm

I really like Barack Obama. I voted for Barack Obama. I am still working on how to capture him in cartoons. I hope that his honeymoon continues, but I also believe that he has qualities we need to help the U.S. gain back some of what was lost in the last 8 years even if it means some "tough love".

Translation: Some of my best friends are black people!

4. Pagan Temple  •  Feb 11, 2009 @9:47 pm

If I steal this cartoon can I win a silver asshat award? HaHaHaHa

5. Dave Russell  •  Feb 12, 2009 @4:34 pm

Dave Russell, AC-T editorial and
    The Avant Gardener

6. Patrick  •  Feb 12, 2009 @5:02 pm

I shall note that, Dave. Thank you for the clarification. I still hope you'll have a word with the cartoonist about this.

Also, though your comment left a telephone number, I've taken the liberty of removing that, as I'm not sure you'll actually want telephone numbers left on a post about this cartoon. If you wish your telephone number restored to the comment, please comment again, or let us know through email.

7. Chris  •  Feb 19, 2009 @10:33 am

"Read his totally asinine defense of this cartoon here:

http://ashvegas.squarespace.com/journal/2009/2/11/did-asheville-editorial-cartoonist-david-cohen-cross-the-lin.html "

My favorite comment there was this:

"We will really be in a post racial society when people can look at this, laugh (or not), and move on."

More proof that "Post-Racial America" has nothing to do with actually treating minorities well, and everything to do with the privileged being able to say and do racist things without the fear of being called a racist.

8. Jim Donato  •  Feb 20, 2009 @7:10 am

Cohen's cartoon actually ran on this web site, http://www.main.nc.us/ which still has it up! They publish Cohen cartoons in addition to the Asheville Citizen-Times. Actually, I had no idea he was published in the A C-T.

2 Trackbacks