The Dead Walk

Print This Post

You may also like...

7 Responses

1. Yehoshua says:

Well then you're aware that L4D doesn't have zombies, it has people infected with some sci-fi strain of the rabies virus.

I recently read an interview with one of the developers explaining how they first decided on the type of gameplay (quick melee-only opponents harassing a team), and then cast around for a suitable identity for those foes.

2. Andrew says:

If that's true, then I wish they had gone with third graders instead of zombies.

3. Grandy says:

Everybody knows zombies cannot run. A running zombie is a an absurd mythical creature, something out of Lewis Carrol perhaps.

And I think this was my favorite post of yours at SSFC, Patrick.

4. Zubon says:

Fast zombies take it in a different direction. As you say, it is not about decay and the numb pushing of inevitability. It brings in animal fears, pushing it more towards vampire horror. I need to see/read 30 Days of Night sometime to compare. The rabies note is germane: most versions of the fast zombies I have seen appeal to some version of rabies. The Cell pushes the "loss of identity" angle with a hive mind.

Maybe it is that vampire thing. "You got vampires in my zombies!" Not everyone likes the combination.

5. Chris Berez says:

"…and Day of the Dead (which has undergone a critical reassessment after a poor initial assessment, an assesment that was always unfair) are among the best horror movies ever made."

Thank you for this. Day of the Dead is probably my favorite movie of the trilogy, and it baffles me that it gets as much hate as it does.

Also, I can safely assume, as a Zombie enthusiast, you've read World War Z, right?

Re: Zubon: You should read 30 Days of Night anyway, as well as the direct sequels, Dark Days and Return to Barrow. :)

6. Grandy says:

As an aside, I'm not a 30 Days of Night fan (I've read the first 3 graphic novels and thumbed through the short story collection that included the astronaut story; I've no interest in going further).

7. Patrick says:

Yeah Chris, as a fan of Romero and Terkel, I loved WWZ. Bad news: the director of A Quantum of Solace, which I rather heartily disliked, has signed on to direct the film adaptation. I'm still optimistic with J. Michael Straczynski having script control.

I should probably post this comment exchange, from the original blogpost, as I thought it improved the post:

Frequent Popehat commenter Al wrote:

“Anytime reality gets in the way of fun, fun wins.” – Warren Spector.

Left 4 Dead with shambling zombies would be dull and a dull game that’s true to its roots is still just a dull game.

Admittedly, Left 4 Dead could have worked with a theme other than zombies but in all likelihood that would have meant ripping of Aliens instead of instead of Romero. Do we really need another game featuring the Bald Space Marine? Especially one coming out so close to Gears 2?

I responded:

Au contraire. There have been a couple of great games featuring shuffling zombies: Dead Rising and (when it works) Resident Evil. Admittedly those are third person and not strictly shooters, but they take advantage of an aspect of zombies I neglected to mention above: that zombies don’t just come in packs; they come in hordes.

Zombies, while not individually formidable, must either be products of an easily transmissible contagion, or some other environmental factor which guarantees quick spread of the problem. The dead will always outnumber the living.