Stung by invidious stereotyping of Asian Americans as the "model minority," people who study and work hard to get ahead where other Americans loaf or look for the quick buck, a group of 1,020 Korean Americans has taken a bold step to erase that misconception. They've filed one of the silliest lawsuits I've ever read about:
More than 1,000 South Korean-Americans filed a group lawsuit on Monday against a South Korean broadcaster, claiming its coverage on the supposed health risks of U.S. beef humiliated them and subjected them to mockery in the United States….
A total of 1,020 Korean-Americans collectively filed the lawsuit against MBC with the Seoul Southern District Court, seeking compensation of 1 billion won (US$735,000) for alleged humiliation and psychological stress.
"We demand that MBC and the chief producer of PD Notebook pay for the psychological damages and broadcast a correction report and an apology," said Lee Heon, legal representative of the group.
It's indelicate of me to say this, but one would think that Korean Americans might be more used than most to mockery based on a food associated with their place of origin. I refer of course, to kimchee.
Last 5 posts by Patrick Non-White
- A Word From Our Sponsor - May 8th, 2013
- Lesson Plan And Syllabus For Second Semester Seniors, Princeton High School - May 3rd, 2013
- A Day Reading Popehat Is Like A Day At The Farm. Every Post Is A Banquet! Every Amazon Purchase A Fortune! Every Comment Thread A Parade! I Love Popehat! - May 2nd, 2013
- I Demand A Senate Investigating Committee - April 27th, 2013
- Be Aware That You Have Threatened, Tried To Blackmail And Accused Our Company Of SCAM With Your E-mail! - April 26th, 2013