Patrick, in guest-blogging at Overlawyered, alerts us that aWoolworth's in the UK will only sell toy lightsabers to adults, as they might be mistaken for guns and thus lead to some sort of unpleasantness. But it's not entirely clear what sort of unpleasantness the shopwarn clarks over in those green and pleasant lands have in mind. Are they worried that someone might rob their local with a lightsaber? If so, couldn't that fear apply to nearly any piece of plastic? Perhaps they are worried that a constable might mistake the saber in little Trevor's hand for a weapon, leading to a tragic police shooting. But if that's the case, they will have to start restricting the sales of all sorts of seemingly innocuous objects, from wallets to hairbrushes to cans of soda, wouldn't they?
Last 5 posts by Ken White
- NYPD: Baby, You Know We Love You. Why Do You Make Us Angry Like That? - December 5th, 2013
- The Road To Popehat: "This Will Not Turn Out Well" Edition - December 4th, 2013
- I Smell French Blood. Also, Croat. - December 4th, 2013
- Quasi-Literate Racist Asshole Jim DeBerry of Definitive Television Threatens To Sue Above The Law For Calling His Video Racist - December 2nd, 2013
- In Which Elan Gale Teaches Two Social Media Lessons - December 2nd, 2013