If Ray Beckerman Is A Kettle, What Does That Make The RIAA?
The Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA), which has filed suit against 30,000 people (and counting) over the past five years, is seeking sanctions against blogger and attorney Ray Beckerman, on the theory that Beckerman, who defends these people, is a vexatious litigant.
The RIAA, of course, has gained infamy for its suits and related litigation tactics, which allegedly include false impersonation (against children – try this in another context and you go to jail), frivolous suits, and advocacy of blatantly incorrect legal theories before courts.
What does this make the RIAA? If Beckerman, who seeks to publicize the RIAA's conduct as he is allowed to do under the First Amendment, and to disseminate his pleadings (all of which are public record) on his blog, is a vexatious litigator, what are we to make of the RIAA and the attorneys who do its bidding? Is Scientology a fair comparison?
If one of the major parties wanted to run a true "people versus the powerful" campaign, it would be welcome development for either to take a stance against the RIAA in particular, and legal abuse (legislative and judicial) and overreaching in intellectual property in general. Either party could play, including the Republicans, as the Democrats so far have proven themselves to be utterly in the tank to the entertainment industry.
Last 5 posts by Patrick Non-White
- Significant Developments In D.C. Anti-SLAPP Law. - June 5th, 2014
- Does The Internet Need A United Nations When It Doesn't Have A First Amendment? - March 24th, 2014
- Fear And Loathing In Falls Church - January 4th, 2014
- Eventually That Animal Is Going To Turn On You, And You're Going To End Up The Victim! - December 5th, 2013
- if you MARRY! like your REPRODUCE! doctor you OBEY! can keep NO INDEPENDENT THOUGHT! your doctor. SUBMIT! if you CONSUME! like your STAY ASLEEP! plan you can WATCH TV! keep it. BUY! period. NO IMAGINATION! - December 4th, 2013