If This Had Happened Anywhere But School, They'd All Be In Jail

You may also like...

13 Responses

1. David says:

Anecdotal data, as reported by millions of mothers around the world, suggests that children just like Savana Redding can drown in as little as a teaspoon full of water.

For that very reason, many such mothers decline to send their children to boarding school.

2. Ken says:

You beat me to this one, Patrick.

Allow me to be the first to say "but it was prescription-strength ibuprofen! Think of the children!"

Scandalous. Outrageous. And all-too-common. Stupid drug war.

3. dbt1949 says:

How come I never get to strip search thirteen year old girls?

4. Dave says:

Prescription strength ibuprofen = 4 regular OTC ibuprofen pills.

5. Grandy says:

Which is why there should have been a cavity search,

6. Sarkus says:

As Dave points out, this was about prescription strength drugs, not OTC ones. So what we're talking about are prescription drugs, which kids do abuse. I'm not sure what, if anything, prescription strength ibuprofen can be abused for, but I do see the school having a strict policy regarding prescription drugs for legitimate reasons. It's probably a blanket policy, rather than drug specific.

Not that any of that justifies a strip search, of course.

7. Patrick says:

All you can do with prescription strength ibuprofen (also known as Motrin) is cause yourself internal cramps and a bloody stomach Sarkus. PAR-TAY!

8. RobF says:

So will this young student be attending college on the Kerry Wilson scholarship?

9. J.W. Hamner says:

Apparently they had a blanket ban on *all* drugs: illicit, prescription, or over the counter, unless you get explicit permission. It's hard to understand why the school needs to control students' access to pain relief or nasal decongestion, but that does seem like something the school administrators I remember would deem necessary.

I presume the rationale was people hiding ecstasy as regular medicine, so just ban it all… and thus here we seem to have a genuine slippery slope.

10. Brian says:

Stupidity abounds. A year or so ago, everyone in my house was sick, and I was sent to the grocery store to procure cough medicine. I had to get cough medicine for my wife, and then I wasn't sure if she wanted Tylenol or Motrin for the kids, so I got both. Or rather I tried to get both. I was stopped at the checkout counter as apparently I could also have been running a meth lab out of my house. I was allowed to choose no more than TWO bottles of cough medicine. I chose poorly.

11. Dave says:

Sarkus, my point isn't that it's prescription strength. My point is you can get the exact same thing with 4 ibuprofen pills you can buy without a prescription. It's completely silly. It's even more silly in light of what J.W. Hammer later posted.

And there is no illicit benefit from using ibuprofen, prescription strength or otherwise.

Dramamine, on the other hand….

12. mike_lee says:

"Pssstt . . . hey kid come over here . . . keep this on the down-low but I'll tell you the recipe for prescription strength ibuprofen. Take two regular ibuprofen which are 200 MG each. Now . . . here's where it gets tricky. . . down them at the same time and just like that -[snaps fingers]- 400MG of Ibuprofen induced happiness – damn, you hardcore baby.

1. July 15, 2008

[...] You may recall later last year that I blogged about the 9th Circuit upholding as reasonable, a search in which a 13 year old girl was stripped, exposing her breasts and genital areas, while searching her for ibuprofen based solely on a tip from a teenager that was in trouble for something else.  I lamented that it was the Drug WarTM gone out of control, and that I would have simply decked the school officials involved had I been that child's father.  Well, in a miraculous bit of common sense by the 9th Circuit, the case was appealed before the entire court, and reversed: [...]