Prime Minister Gordon Brown has argued that anyone over 16 caught with an illegal knife should be prosecuted, rather than escaping with a caution.
But [Conservative Party leader] Mr [David] Cameron says the presumption should go further – so anyone convicted of carrying a knife should be jailed.
If Britain would do the sensible thing, and issue concealed carry permits to law-abiding citizens, I suspect that knife-wielding hooligans would soon be put in their place.
But I find this story more interesting for its domestic implications. The behavior of British politicians on what we can now call "knife control" is indirect but powerful evidence that the NRA, pre-Heller, was right all along about the ultimate aim of gun control advocates in the United States.
Make no mistake, many knives are dangerous weapons and stabbing is a horrible crime. But for the heirs of Churchill and Pitt to reduce themselves to argument over who would punish knife possession most harshly seems positively silly, and at the same time thoroughly medieval.
Last 5 posts by Patrick Non-White
- A Word From Our Sponsor - May 8th, 2013
- Lesson Plan And Syllabus For Second Semester Seniors, Princeton High School - May 3rd, 2013
- A Day Reading Popehat Is Like A Day At The Farm. Every Post Is A Banquet! Every Amazon Purchase A Fortune! Every Comment Thread A Parade! I Love Popehat! - May 2nd, 2013
- I Demand A Senate Investigating Committee - April 27th, 2013
- Be Aware That You Have Threatened, Tried To Blackmail And Accused Our Company Of SCAM With Your E-mail! - April 26th, 2013