Building A Better Oblivion

Print This Post

You may also like...

19 Responses

1. Chris H says:

Hey, triggercut here.

One correction: POOP doesn't necessarily install itself. What it does do is give you single-click installation of each mod. I wanted it to be customizable for a variety of hardware configurations, so folks can feel free to ignore stuff they don't want.

There are a ton of advantages to installing OMOD versions of mods rather than just the mods themselves. For one thing, most mods require you to install to the right paths and folders in you Data folder in the game, which can be a bit of a pain. In OMOD form, they install themselves where they're supposed to go with a doubleclick.

The other big advantage is that OMODS can be activated and de-activated with the same double-click. One of the things you'll do in POOP is experiment with different flavors of the same graphics mods. Being able to test one, deactivate it with a click and activate a new flavor with a click (and then being able to deactivate the second choice and go back to the first just as easily) is huge.

Sorry if anyone was mislead by talk of ease of installation. OMODS make should make this a breeze to install, but there's extensive documentation included just in case, and you'll still be doing a lot of clicking getting the whole thing set up.

2. Patrick says:

Thanks for the clarification trig. It still sounds a helluva lot easier than hunting and gathering for individual mods as I did in the past.

3. Ken says:

This is a tremendous project by trig, and I appreciate it very much. Now I'm going to have to figure out bittorent.

4. Chris H says:

Oh yeah, absolutely. It took me as long as it takes to torrent the entire POOP to download the big world texture pack from TESNexus, and that's a direct DL.

One last caveat:

I never meant for POOP to be the last word in Oblivion Mods. If you install POOP and nothing else, you should have an incredible gaming experience in Oblivion, far beyond anything available in the vanilla game.

BUT….there are a bunch of things I didn't include. There are a ton of great magic mods…but those unbalance the game a little towards casting classes, so I left them out. If you're going to be a mage, though, go for it and add it yourself! There are a bunch of amazing bow/archery mods, but I left those out, too to keep things at general interest….but if you're a ranger-type, I recommend you go find those mods as well.

Finally there are a bunch of intriguing mods in various states of Beta right now that I'd love to include in a followup POOP….

5. Mike says:

This is POOP 1.0, right? I'm assuming there will be updates if the unwashed masses start reporting problems — as best as you can fix them?

6. Brian says:

I wish to extend my heartfelt thanks to Patrick for not reverting to the less immature name.

7. Ezra says:

Wow! I finally got it all downloaded last night. Now I just need to do a clean install, and get right to it! I'm really looking forward to this. Thanks Chris for all your hard work in this!

8. Brian says:

Screwed again. I can't even get a proper credit for coming up with the name POOP (although it was inspired by trig's failure to stick with POO). Everyone loves POOP.

9. Josh says:

What about the Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul? If I were to install the POOP, LOL, would OOO come before or after? What about the Unofficial Patch also?

Should I do I clean install of Oblivion then apply the POOP?

10. Ken says:

Josh, I'm not the expert, but I think the POOP contemplates use of game fixes that are alternative to, if not incompatible with, OOO. Try asking in the thread here. And yes, I understand that a fresh install is highly recommended.

11. Josh says:

When can you create a similar all in one for a character's body and looks? I've seen some amazing screen shots from other peoples characters and would like to get my character to look like that.

12. Steamer says:

The below taken from Finishing up

Last but most certainly not least is Wrye Bash. Unzip Wrye Bash 1.80 to your main Oblivion directory, NOT your Data folder. This will create a folder called “Mopy” in this directory. Open it, and find the file for “bash.py”

I dont understand from above onwardsm do i need to do the following

Download and Install Python 2.5
    Download and Install wxPython 2.8.7.1 ANSI

Help

13. kyle says:

i know im going to sound like a complete noob but how exactly do you get the omods to install on vista do i need to create a special folder or get a certan program?

14. Chris says:

The easiest way is to install Oblivion somewhere other than c:\program files\blah\blah\blah. I made a c:\badly behaved programs\ and Oblivion lived quite nicely there.

15. kyle says:

once again im going to sound stupid but you said to just install it into a different folder instead of program files/bethesdasoftworks/oblivion? do i need to make the folder or will it be made duiring the install once again a stupid question this is my first time trying to do this.

16. PJB says:

Hello all,

For those who are averse to torrents/too lazy to torrent/can't torrent, I've put POOP up for HTTP download. Due to the mod's enormous size, I've provided 1-part, 3-part and 7-part zip files.

Enjoy :)

1. June 13, 2008

[...] looking to use mods on your PC version of Oblivion, you should definitely check out the Popehat Oblivion Omod Project, compiled by Chris "triggercut" Hornbostel. Sure the project's acronym might [...]

2. September 5, 2008