The Greek Isle of Lesbos is suing the group Homosexual and Lesbian Community of Greece to stop using the term Lesbian. Seems they are tired of having the term for people from their isle be synonymous with the followers of Sappho. "Our geographical designation has been usurped by certain ladies who have no connection whatsoever with Lesbos," said Dimitris Lambrou, one of the plaintiffs.
The group is quick to point out that they have nothing against Lesbia… gay women who have made Lesbos a popular vacation spot, they just want to take back their name. Lambrou points out that Lesbian is a relatively new term for gay women, whereas they have "been Lesbians for thousands of years…"
I'm not sure how I feel about this one. Could England sue New England to change it's name because they aren't happy with being associated with them? Is this why Delaware Punch disappeared? I gather that the World Wildlife Fund made the World Wrestling Federation change their name, so who knows?
If the case is successful, what will they have to call themselves? Bryn Mawrians?
Last 5 posts by Ezra
- Yogi Berra for Governor - December 7th, 2010
- BGGCon 2010 - Day 0 - December 6th, 2010
- Your Friday Afternoon is Happy to See the Name World B. Free - December 3rd, 2010
- Boardgamegeek Con - Year 2 - November 15th, 2010
- The Games We Played: Alexander Hamilton - AntiFederalist - November 12th, 2010